Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Looking Forward

Hello 2014, so glad you're here! I have to say 2013 was not very good to my family. We are all looking forward to all the wonderful things 2014 has in store for us. 

My parents are moving in with us toward the end of January--all the way from Texas. It took a few years of asking them to come before they finally gave in. They need us, and we are excited to have them come. Yes, we are all aware of the changes that are going to happen, and I know there are many things that will come as surprises to us. My goal is to embrace the hard changes with love and never make my parents feel as though they are a burden to us because they are NOT. My super sweet husband has agreed to give up our bedroom, huge closet, big bathroom, and our family room to them so they will have their own end of the house. It will be kinda like an apartment for them. We are moving into a tiny bedroom and sharing a bathroom with the teenager. Yikes--she's going to experience lots of change!

If you've ever done what we are about to do, please share your wisdom, tips, and encouragement with me. I know I'll need it. 

As for homeschooling high school, we are looking 'forward'. What about you? The 2013 school year started off a little slow. There have been lots of interruptions along the way, but I'm confident 2014 will move ahead more smoothly. We are still unschooling and using Time4Learing online high school classes. It is sometimes hard for my daughter to school because our Internet is satellite and we are restricted on usage. Lots of her lessons are video lessons which take more data. It's a good thing she is a HUGE night owl because she has to school very late at night or very early in the morning. Our 'free data' time is between 2am and 7am. That's what we get for living out in the country! 

This semester she will take an online writing course. She loves to write, but tends to write mostly fiction. She definitely needs to work on other styles and brush up on all her writing skills. I believe taking the course from someone other than me will be a benefit. It's easy to push Mom's buttons. 

She had her hopes set on attending a week long camp for 3D Animation this summer at the Atlanta Art Institute, but the tuition is $500! That quickly inflated all my tires! I don't mind paying tuition, but $500 is mighty steep for this family. I will say that my daughter is very resilient and will bounce back and keep pressing toward her goal of graphic design. 

We don't have any specific hard goals in mind for 2014, we just want to embrace each day with anticipation and be able to roll with the punches. The unschooler in us doesn't die easily and for that I am most grateful. 

This post is part of the January 2014 Let's Homeschool High School Blog Hop. 

6 comments:

  1. I have often thought about using Time4Writing, but I am on the fence about it. Please share your daughter's thoughts once she has worked through the course. :)

    I am stopping by through the blog hop. Good luck with 2014 and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several friends who have used their writing program and swear by it.

      Thank you for stopping by my blog and blessings to you and your family for a wonderful new year.

      Joyfully,
      Jackie

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackie :)

    We made the move to multi-generational family living about 3 years ago. Our parents have their own granny flat, and we are blessed to live on an acre. This means there is plenty of room for everyone to have their own space - which I have discovered is important for happy multi-generational living. It has been so wonderful for our children to have their grandparents such a daily part of their life.

    All the best for you new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,

      I'm really excited for them to finally get here. We rented a storage unit in town and are moving lots of our things out to make room for some of their things. I want their end of the house to feel like it's their house. We also are going to remove the carpet in their family room. We have dogs and cats and they have a dog, so their dog will smell our animals AND it needs to be replaced anyway.

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Blessings for a wonderful new year,
      Jackie

      Delete
  3. we have the same struggles with internet because of living out in the country. That can be frustrating, but all things considered, I guess it's a small price to pay. :-) We've had more interruptions to our homeschooling than I'd bargained for, but I think we're in pretty good shape as we start the new year.

    stopping by from the blog hop - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with getting your parents settled! Looking forward to hearing about how things are going. :)

    ReplyDelete