Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Trouble with Teens! by Guest Author, Katrina

Today I'd like you to join me in welcoming guest author, Katrina, to 3D Learners. Katrina is a work-at-home homeschooling Mom of 2 teens boys who also runs a small childcare out of her home. She is active on many homeschool sites, a contributing moderator for SecularHomeschool.com and writes for her daycare blog Preschoolersdaybyday.com!

Please take time to leave comment for Katrina; I know she'd love to hear from you. 



                                      The Trouble with Teens!

Teen activities that is! Why do people think that teens can amuse themselves? Usually that is the reason for many issues among teens! Granted those statistics are usually for public school kids. 

I mean REALLY. Some of my brother's and husband's stories about when they were teens, just makes my hair turn gray! They are NOT allowed to confess those to my boys, though most of brother's are well-known as basically a what NOT to do rule!!! LOL

And with more and more parents turning to homeschooling, finding activities for teens as part of their homeschooling is hard! I mean HARD! They are not adults, they are not babies, they do not have public school interaction ,or events put on by the school. What do you do with them?

Luckily, not only do we live in a large city, but we have several great homeschooling groups that we belong to. Many of us find ourselves in the same boat, parents of teens, and have started to plan events with this age in mind. Plus, our local Parks and Recreation has noticed this lack of homeschool teen activities and added daytime events and classes geared JUST for teens. Thank goodness!!

I think as teens, my boys are busier than they were when they were in public school! 

Right now:
  • They attend a weekly PE class at the community center with a bunch of their friends. 
  • They have a regular Olympic style shooting class put on FREE by one of our local gun ranges and I am proud to say, my older son has 5 advancements to his name. Again, attend this with many of the same group of friends. 
  • They have a monthly homeschool teen meet-up at the indoor airsoft range. 
  • And late Spring through Fall(weather permitting), there are weekly park days and while I am home running my childcare.... one of our friends, gladly swings by to take the boys with her and her son. 2-3 hours of hiking wears my boys out!
  • Plus in 2 weeks, they are attending the Homeschool Costume aka Halloween Dance! It is put on for homeschool teens all around the Portland area and brings in about 100+ kids.

So, guaranteed 2 days a week they have TEEN only activities outside of the house! Not baby stuff, not adult stuff, but activities geared for them! And while they socialize with all ages, parents, grandparents, parents of the daycare kids, the daycare kids themselves, etc. on a daily basis.... I still say there is something to teens being able to be around other kids their age and be able to talk about things, be dorks, and have fun.

How do your teens get out and about? Does your area have things planned for teens? If not, maybe you can form some!!



2 comments:

  1. Slow down, Katrina! I think you guys need a holiday so you can rest. LOL

    Thank you so much for guest posting on 3D Learners and once again dispelling the notion that homeschooled kids are not socialized.

    Please come back soon and share more of your Mom teen tips with us!

    Joyfully,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie! I had a blast writing it and thank you bunches for allowing me to guest post on your blog!

    ReplyDelete